[asterisk-users] undocumented change in expression handling in 1.8 beta

covici at ccs.covici.com covici at ccs.covici.com
Sun Jul 25 14:22:02 CDT 2010

Tilghman Lesher <tlesher at digium.com> wrote:

> On Saturday 24 July 2010 23:52:39 covici at ccs.covici.com wrote:
> > Hi.  I hava a variable and in 1.6 I set the string variable to "" and it
> > got the null string.  In 1.8, it gets the quotes, I have to set it to
> > nothing at all to make it get the null value.
>
> Please read the 6th item in UPGRADE.txt.
The sixth item I have is:
* The default behavior for Set, AGI, and pbx_realtime has been changed
to implement
  1.6 behavior by default, if there is no [compat] section in
  asterisk.conf.  In
  prior versions, the behavior defaulted to 1.4 behavior, to assist in
  upgrades.
  Specifically, that means that pbx_realtime and res_agi expect you to
  use commas
  to separate arguments in applications, and Set only takes a single
  pair of
  a variable name/value.  The old 1.4 behavior may still be obtained by
  setting
  app_set, pbx_realtime, and res_agi each to 1.4 in the [compat] section
  of
  asterisk.conf.

I guess that referrs to the following in the 1.6 upgrade file:
  You now only need to quote strings in configuration files if you
  literally
   want quotation marks within a string.

Thanks much for that clarification.

How do