[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.8.0-beta1 is Now Available!

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Sat Jul 24 16:12:15 CDT 2010

  On 7/24/10 1:23 PM, Ira wrote:
> At 10:01 AM 7/24/2010, you wrote:
>> The version of gcc is most definitely related to this problem, although it is
>> the linker that is the problem.  My recommendation for solving this problem
>> is to use 'make menuselect' to eliminate any modules that you do not wish
>> to load, then ensure modules that you definitely want (app_stack,
>> app_voicemail) are selected.  Follow that up by eliminating all "noload"
>> statements from /etc/asterisk/modules.conf and Asterisk should load fine.
> I wonder if this is a problem with my old modules.conf. I'll rename
> it and see if that clears up the problem.
>
> Ira

This might not be the simplest solution, but it's the one that I've used and it's been very reliable.

I usually do the following just before editing a config file for the first time:

% cp -p /etc/asterisk/foo.conf /etc/asterisk/foo.conf.orig

Or conversely, right after an install but before any customization:

% mkdir -p $HOME/asterisk
% cp -a /etc/asterisk $HOME/asterisk/conf-1.6

Prior to a version bump, rename your config directory, i.e.

% /etc/init.d/asterisk stop
% mv /etc/asterisk /etc/asterisk-1.6

Diff your modified config files against the pristine versions.  If you backed up the originals, then you can diff them one-off against their .orig versions... otherwise, you can do a recursive side-by-side diff of your running system and a pristine backup you made:

% diff -ur $HOME/asterisk/conf-1.6 /etc/asterisk-1.6 > ~/asterisk-config.diff

Now install your new version of asterisk (1.8 or trunk or whatever), make a pristine copy of /etc/asterisk as above, and hand apply your patches from the above file into /etc/asterisk.

Start up asterisk manually:

% /etc/init.d/asterisk start

and watch for errors.

To be sure, do:

% grep asterisk /var/log/messages

With a config of moderate complexity (not a lot of peers, but some dialplan trickiness) this takes me about 30-40 minutes.

Good luck.

-Philip