[asterisk-users] Poor-man's paging through multiple phones?

Elliot Otchet elliot.otchet at callingcircles.com
Fri Jul 23 15:37:09 CDT 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com [mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Peter Pauly
Sent: Friday, July 23, 2010 10:33 AM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: [asterisk-users] Poor-man's paging through multiple phones?

We're mostly Cisco CallManager with some SIP and Asterisk.

I want someone at one of our locations to be able to dial and number and have Asterisk simultaneously dial several Call-Manager extensions which are set to auto-answer and talk into the phone creating a sort of paging system.

We have informacast, but it is too cumbersome for the users.

I know Asterisk can ring several phones at the same time... if one of them answers, the others stop right?

--
True, but you could have your paging app record the announcement and then play the recording out via an AGI/AMI Originate to each phone.

If you're looking more for a hoot-and-holler system, use the AGI/AMI Originate to dial the extensions and place the phones into a MeetMe/Conference bridge.

For the simultaneous dialing part, be sure to research the Async option on Originate.  The increased performance is quite noticeable in applications like this.

PERL/C/PHP/'Rails/Java, choose your weapon.  If you've got the CM set up already, each of the AGI/AMI frameworks should have examples on how to do Originate calls.

-Elliot

This message is intended only for the use of the individual (s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or proprietary to Calling Circles LLC and its affiliates. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, forwarding or copying of this communication is prohibited without the express permission of the sender. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original message.