[asterisk-users] POE Splitters

David Backeberg dbackeberg at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 22:33:39 CDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 2:46 PM, Matt <mhoppes at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've got an interesting situation where I have one cable run from the feed
> area to the service area.   I have three devices that I need to power at the
> service area.  Is anyone aware of a device that will take the POE from the
> cable run and then allow me to split it to two or three devices at the
> service end?

The obvious answer is "don't do that".

*buy DC power bricks for the phones / devices
*buy a small PoE switch for the area, plugged into the single ethernet
cable as a trunk
*pull more cable from the original endpoint

Any of those three will be more reliable and predictable when
debugging than inventing your own PoE solution. I've tried to invent
my own PoE solution using a soldering iron and bulk ethernet cable.
Take it from me, don't go down that road. Yes, you will learn all
manner of interesting things about DC voltage loss over distance,
blah, blah, blah.

Your time is almost undoubtedly worth more money than you'll save by
pursuing the 'conventional approaches'. Just don't do it.