[asterisk-users] Does SIP limit to 3-way conference?

Karl Fife karlfife at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 18:12:48 CDT 2010

> Cassius Smith wrote:
>> Hello all,
>> I'm in final testing stages and preparing training for a new Asterisk
>> rollout. I'm replacing a Cisco Call Manager system, and re-flashing
>> the 79x1 phones with SIP 8.5.2. With the SIP load and while in a call,
>> I use the "Confrn" softkey to invite other participants. I can add one
>> other participant
>
> I think the phone itself is limited to 3 calls per line.
>
> Doug

It's got nothing to do with SIP.  The phone itself is doing the audio
mixing, and the phone is limiting you to 2 call legs (plus you, making a
3-way call).  You don't usually see phones that will bridge more than 2 call
legs because the required technical resources generally exceed those of the
endpoint.

Some 'better' phones such as the Polycom Soundpoint IP 6xx series phones
will mix as many as 3 call legs (plus you, making a 4-way call).  Still, the
phone itself is bearing the burden of the audio mixing which explains the
limitation.

To conference more than 4 parties, you need a conference bridge (such as
MeetMe). However, you can get clever with Asterisk and allow your end-user
to transfer calls directly to a MeetMe conference with a single keypress!
You can enable your end-user to collect conference participants one-by-one,
rather than burdening your called parties with the need to dial in to a
special phone number with a special access code!

-Karl