[asterisk-users] Video IVR Asterisk ?

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at asteriskdocs.org
Wed Jul 21 20:43:23 CDT 2010

On 10-07-16 02:38 PM, Anita Hall wrote:
> Is it possible to receive video calls using Asterisk and then process
> them as an IVR ? One of our clients wants to set-up a video IVR system
> in the US and we are evaluation possible options.
>
> Also, what is the bandwidth of receiving a video call in US ? What
> protocols and codecs are supported and does it work on DID numbers ? Can
> I rent a hosted solution for this ?
>
> Thanks in anticipation of your valuable inputs.

If you have a device that supports H.264 or H.263 (I can't remember which
flavour Asterisk supports) then you can record your prompts with the Record()
application and it will save both the audio and video.

However Asterisk can't transcode video, so your clients will have to connect
with the appropriate codecs that you've recorded with, or record prompts in
multiple formats. There is probably software that will transcode it for you
(ffmpeg or something?).

I've not delved into this area very far, but playing around with it for a bit a
couple of months ago produced results ;)

Leif.