[asterisk-users] MOH distorted voice in Native and MP3 format

MohammedShehzad pmhshz at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 04:59:18 CDT 2010

> > I have been facing an issue that voice is getting distorted sometimes in MOH
> > (MusicOnHold) application.
> > I have checked and confirmed that lame is properly installed, even tried
> > native formats (ulaw, alaw, gsm), but the randomly seen distortion in MOH
> > can't be eliminated.
> > I came to know about requirement of timing device for MOH and MeetMe and a
> > very good illustration by Andrew Kohlsmith on below old post.
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/aster...@uc.org/msg01449.html
>
> This post is over 4 years old. Things have since changed.
>
> There's no requirement for MoH to be in mp3 format. Generally just use
> sound files Asterisk can play.

Thanks Tzafrir, You are correct the post is very old.
It is also correct that there is no requirement for MoH to be in MP3
format, that is why I already replaced all MP3s with native formats
(ULAW, ALAW, GSM etc).
But even though the distortion is heard sometimes it is terrible and
making leaving the call unprofessional. That make me think and suspect
for timing related issues which seemed earlier.
The sound files plays music and voice in-between at some interval, is
there any issue of having music and voice same time in MoH?

Thanks.
--
-MohammedShehzad