[asterisk-users] Distinctive ring for INTERNAL calls only? How to do it?

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Mon Jul 19 01:03:57 CDT 2010

On 19 July 2010 00:35, Anthony Messina <amessina at messinet.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 14, 2010 01:44:54 pm bruce bruce wrote:
>> Using Elastix (FreePBX + Asterisk 1.4.2x combination) with Aastra phones,
>> how can one receive distinctive ring tones for INTERNAL calls ONLY?
>
> Using Aastra 4801 CT phones...
>
> [external-context]
> ; Calls entering from outside the system
> exten => 1234,1,SIPAddHeader(Alert-Info: info=<Bellcore-dr2>) ; Double Ring
> same => n,Dial(SIP/...
>

> [internal-context]
> ; Calls routed from within the system
> exten => 1234,1,Dial(SIP/... ; No special ring

One of the problems with Distinctive Ring tones is that its not
consistent, between different phones so if you have a mix of phone
types you have a problem.

Quite a lot seam to follow the Bellcore stand says the rhythmn of the
ring tone, but not the tune, so Bellcore-dr2 might be long long short
and bellcore-dr3 might be short short. A type or Morse code I guess...
But its hard work to notice the difference in a hurry when you need to
answer the phone, hence its not normally enough.

In an ideal world you should be able to send the ring tone with the
call so sending a URL or embedding it in the sip header, but I've not
heard any method to do this.....

Peter.