[asterisk-users] SKYPE - Authenticate incoming call

Neeraj Chand Neeraj.Chand at ocis.com.au
Thu Jul 15 20:57:19 CDT 2010

>> Hi All,
>>
>> After getting licences for Skype for asterisk a while ago I finally
got
>> around to setting up a server with two channels and setting up a bcp
on
>> the skype end.
>>
>> The idea behind this is the following:
>>
>> Users can dial into the PBX, get authenticated and only after>
>> authentication get access to internal PBX extensions.
>>
>> I CAN do this with a PIN, no sweat, but from a user perspective it
>> becomes a bit clunky, i.e. password to remember, security in terms of
>> pin leaks, multiple passwords for users, etc.
>>
>> I was wondering if there was a way I could extract the "FROM - USER"
and
>> assign it to a variable, then do a lookup of that username in a
database
>> using ODBC to decide whether to allow or disallow access.
>>
>> NOTE: The bit I need help with is extracting the "FROM - USER" the
rest
>> of the stuff I've done already / before.

>None of this is necessary; Skype already supports restricting to calls
>to only coming from users on the buddy list. So, if your PBX is
>connecting to the Skype network as user 'A', and your remote users are
>'B' and 'C', then *don't* setup SFA to allow calls from anyone, and
>don't set it up to automatically add users to the buddy list when they
>request it. Instead, manually add users B and C to A's buddy list
(using
>a regular Skype client), and those are the only users that will be able
>to call A.
>
>--
>Kevin P. Fleming

I know that already, it's a matter of convenience.
If I go that way, then I have to manually log in to skype, and add maybe
50 / 60 users to each new user that I create [these are personal staff
accounts that wont be logged into the asterisk server via SFA, and are
not part of the group set up in BCP]
If there's something I can do on the asterisk end, then management
becomes *very* simple --> func_odbc+freetds+MS_SQL+PHP = web page to
manage users & access.