[asterisk-users] How to deal with voice SMS - Asterisk 1.4

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Thu Jul 15 03:38:19 CDT 2010

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010, Administrator TOOTAI wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I face a problem with voice SMSs. In some countries, if you send an SMS
> to a landline number, the mobile operator will record the message and
> then call this number. When picking up the phone you hear "You get an
> SMS from <phone number>, press 1 to listen the message, 2 to repeat the
> sender phone number". If you press 1 you hear the message and after it
> you have the possibility to press 1 to repeat message or 2 to repeat the
> sender phone number.
>
> In a perfect world it's OK, but not here. There is fax detection, users
> send to voicemail directly, companies message with open hours aso. How
> to treat this with Asterisk knowing that such kind of messages are
> sended -at least for some operators- with a special callerID?

BT in the UK use a specific caller ID when speaking SMS messages to you -
however you still have 2 choices - you can listen to the message as spoken
by BT's Digital Dot, or if you instrict them, they'll send the message
digitally (over the analogue line as FSK tones) so that compatable
equipment can then display the original message text (e.g. Siemens DECT
phones)

However, that's just BT. Another provider of landline numbers in the UK
which I use are experimenting with posting the message to a website/URL so
that they can then distribute them via email (or text to speech).

And some telco's are just ignoring it entirely.

So I doubt there will be a universal solution.

If your country supports switching to FSK sending, then it might be worth
while investigating the SMS application and doing it all digitally. You
could then setup a local number to email map and email the message rather
than try to "speak" it.

BT's system does produce some "intereting" results... Eks eks eks Ell Oh
Ell. ;-)

Gordon