[asterisk-users] Distinctive ring for INTERNAL calls only? How to do it?

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Thu Jul 15 02:05:45 CDT 2010

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010, bruce bruce wrote:

> Thanks for the input but that won't be good because people are not going to
> remember two extensions for one person.

People don't have to - that's what computers are for... This wouldn't be
hard to do in the dialplan, but it would need some custom dialplan
programmng.

> The sip header should be able to carry alert_info to internal extensions
> really easily. Anyone else got a thought?

I do it in my systems, but have only used Snom and Grandstream phones -
you need to know the right SIP header to poke at the phone before you
Dial() it. (And you have to set some parameters in the GS phones too)

So for a Snom, it's:

   <http://127.0.0.1>\;info=alert-external\;x-line-id=0

(the id=0 is the index into the 9 ring tones they have)

And in the dialplan:

   SIPAddHeader(Call-Info: <http://127.0.0.1>\;info=alert-external\;x-line-id=0)

So read the manual for the phone to find out what format it requires the
ring-tone in. Grandtreams are:

   <http://127.0.0.1>\;info=Ringer

However the text 'Ringer' has to be programmed into the 3 ring-tone slots,
so I put ring1, ring2 and ring3 into the ones I setup.

Gordon