[asterisk-users] Recording from g729 to wav means transcoding ?

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Wed Jul 14 08:41:49 CDT 2010

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010, Jonas Kellens wrote:

> On 07/14/2010 01:39 PM, Gordon Henderson wrote:
>> And it's nice to have a choice of vendors to buy G729 from now too.
>> Doesn't help on weedy hardware though.
>
> I thought you could only buy licenses from Digium ? Can you install
> other G729-licenses on Asterisk ?

Sure.

http://www.howlertech.com/products/howlets/

More flexable licensing than Digium.

Or if you're in a place that doesn't honour software patents, (or don't
care) then there is a publicly avalable unlicensed one avalable too.

> I need the MixMonitor-application so if I want to record the
> G729-audiostream, I need licenses (the question is how much).

I'd like to think it was no more than one per channel... However there's
probably 2 transcodes going on concurrently, one for audio in and one for
audio out, so who knows how it works at that level.

> Isn't G726 also a quality codec ? (http://www.ozvoip.com/voip-codecs/)

It's the default codec used in DECT phones. I trialled it for a while for
some backhaul applications - the users didn't notice anything different
and CPU overhead seemed very low, but I've since gone back to alaw. It
does save 32Kb/sec per call though.

Gordon