[asterisk-users] OT: fail2ban, spam and mail servers

Randy R randulo2008 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 06:06:11 CDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 12:58 PM, A J Stiles
<asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 Jul 2010, Randy R wrote:
>> I was thinking of closing port 25 and using an alternate port (587?)
>> setup if the spam service is able to connect to an alternate port.
>> That way, the users can also change their configs to 587 and most
>> spammers will be trying 25 which is closed.
>
> Can't you just insist on SMTP AUTH?  Or  (crude but still just about usable)
> require a POP3 connection before allowing an SMTP connection?

The problem is that mail to legitimate users is being sent here
although "here" is NOT the MX. On the other hand, when the users on
the road try to connect to use the server to send on port 25, it needs
to be open. I'm pretty sure closing 25 would kill the spam. But the
users would need to connect to a port for SMTP.

/r