[asterisk-users] False answer() being sent by cellphone providers

Mike Ely mikeely at amyskitchen.net
Fri Jul 9 20:57:05 CDT 2010

-----Original Message-----
From:	asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com on behalf of Steve Edwards
Sent:	Fri 7/9/2010 5:32 PM
To:	Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject:	Re: [asterisk-users] False answer() being sent by cellphone providers

On Fri, 9 Jul 2010, Mike Ely wrote:

> (off list)

Continuing to veer off-topic...

> Yes indeed we do.  The telcos here are absolutely abhorrent, to the
> point that much could be written about how horrible they are but nobody
> would want to read such depressing material.  And consumer protections?
> Hah!  The devotees of Ayn Rand have written most consumer law here.
> Don't get me started.

Maybe you should re-read Atlas Shrugged.

Your laws may have been written by the people Ayn Rand wrote about: "the
government increasingly asserts control over all industry, while society's
most productive citizens, led by the mysterious John Galt, progressively
disappear,*" not devotees of Ayn Rand and her philosophy.

*) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Shrugged

Well, so much for my "off list" attempt.  Perhaps I should learn how to use email before I take on anything so complex as a PBX.

At any rate, Steve, you have it completely backwards: in the US and many other countries, it is industry asserting control over government, not the other way around.  Walk down K Street in Washington, D.C. and you'll see my point.

And no thanks: I've already read that execrable book, and found it to be nothing more than overwrought claptrap written to give people with a huge inferiority complex (witness all the carping on about "mediocrity") some smug self-justification when they abandon all ethics in favor of their reptile-brain, base instincts.  Disgusting.

Cheers!