[asterisk-users] False answer() being sent by cellphone providers

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Fri Jul 9 17:20:38 CDT 2010

On Fri, 9 Jul 2010, Mike Ely wrote:

> On 7/9/10 9:57 AM, "Mike Ely" <mikeely at amyskitchen.net> wrote:
>
>> Hello, list.
>>
>> I've set up an outbound alerting system to play a recording when systems go
>> down, etc. and I'm noticing that cellphones tend to answer() and then start
>> ringing the actual handset.  So far, I've verified this behavior with
>> Verizon, T-Mobile, and Google Voice (the last produces a SERIOUS delta
>> between bogus answer and actual answer).
>>
>> Has anyone figured out how to detect the actual cellphone answer rather than
>> the bogus one sent by the cell carrier?  In the short term, I just have the
>> call play MOH for ten seconds before announcing that all hell has broken
>> loose in the server room, but it¹d be nice to have something a bit more
>> accurate and reliable.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mike

Wow. So presumably you start to pay for the call before the mobile phone
actually rings and you answer the mobile phone? So you're charged even if
the mobile phone user doesn't answer?

Are you sure?

Although I guess it's a country specific thing - if they tried that over
here I think it'd be pitchforks and flaming torches at their UK HQ
offices...

Gordon