[asterisk-users] False answer() being sent by cellphone providers

Danny Nicholas danny at debsinc.com
Fri Jul 9 13:24:02 CDT 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Steve Edwards
Sent: Friday, July 09, 2010 12:10 PM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] False answer() being sent by cellphone
providers

On Fri, 9 Jul 2010, Mike Ely wrote:

>> I've set up an outbound alerting system to play a recording when systems
go
>> down, etc. and I'm noticing that cellphones tend to answer() and then
start
>> ringing the actual handset.  So far, I've verified this behavior with
>> Verizon, T-Mobile, and Google Voice (the last produces a SERIOUS delta
>> between bogus answer and actual answer).
>>
>> Has anyone figured out how to detect the actual cellphone answer rather
than
>> the bogus one sent by the cell carrier?  In the short term, I just have
the
>> call play MOH for ten seconds before announcing that all hell has broken
>> loose in the server room, but it¹d be nice to have something a bit more
>> accurate and reliable.

How about a loop with "Please press pound to continue?"
--
It is a DAHDI "function" that you may or may not get a reliable
"notification" of answer.  The best thing to do is to MOH for 7 seconds,
then play a message "this is a message from the computer room; press 1 to
accept".  This lets you not waste time on a "not real" answer.  Here is a
"cliff-note" context:
[accept]
exten => s,1,Answer
exten => s,n,WaitExten(7)