[asterisk-users] Externnotify on pollmailboxes=yes

Tilghman Lesher tlesher at digium.com
Wed Jul 7 01:23:34 CDT 2010

On Tuesday 06 July 2010 22:51:03 Eric Hiller wrote:
> Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> > On Monday 05 July 2010 19:17:00 Eric Hiller wrote:
> > > Not sure if this is a bug yet, so I wanted to ask around to see if
> > > anyone else was having this issue. I have pollmailboxes=yes set in
> > > voicemail.conf but externnotify is not called. I know it isn't the
> > > externnotify script because if the changes are done in asterisk then it
> > > is called properly, if the changes are done via our webserver then it
> > > is not. Also, we use odbc voicemail storage. Thanks for any help,
> >
> > The externnotify script is only run when voicemail is left through the
> > Voicemail application.  I'm not sure if you're leaving voicemail messages
> > through an external app or if you're expecting the script to be run when
> > the count changes, but it's only run in that single case.
>
> Not if a voicemail is left by another system, but if a voicemail is deleted
> by an external system (ie. web interface). But externnotify is only run
> upon voicemail() or voicemailmain()? What is the purpose of
> pollmailboxes=yes then?

The purpose of pollmailboxes is to update the Message Waiting indicator on
various models of phones which support receiving that information through
its communication protocol (SIP, IAX, or other) when Voicemail cannot rely on
its own internal state to determine when a mailbox has messages.

This isn't really all that odd:  the option behaves exactly as documented in
the sample file:

; If you need to have an external program, i.e. /usr/bin/myapp
; called when a voicemail is left, delivered, or your voicemailbox
; is checked, uncomment this.
;externnotify=/usr/bin/myapp

--
Tilghman Lesher