[asterisk-users] Y-cords - What are they ?

Zeeshan Zakaria zishanov at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 15:10:11 CDT 2010

We deal with Y-cords all the time for Ethernet and BRIs. They are just
normal cords, making use of the fact that both Cat5 networks and BRI ports
don't use all the 8 pins, so why not use extra wires in the cable for
something useful instead of wasting them. It has nothing to do with the
performance, and the cables are provided by reputable manufacturers like
Aculab and Sangoma, because some of their equipment have no choice but to
use these cables. For example Sangoma's BRI cards use two BRI channels per
one physical port, so you need one end of the cable with 8 pins and split it
into two on the other end with 4 pins each. Same is the case on Ehernet
ports on the Aculab's Groomer II equipment.

Zeeshan A Zakaria

--
www.ilovetovoip.com

On 2010-07-06 4:00 PM, "Gergo Csibra" <csibra at gmail.com> wrote:

Tuesday, July 6, 2010, 8:11:46 PM, bruce wrote:

> Can someone please explain what Y-cords are avail...
I think Y-cords only for PSTN. Or there're Y-cords for twisted pair
ethetnet too, but that not a good idea.

Usualy VoIP phones includes a mini 2 port switch to use one switch
port for a phone and a PC.

--
Best regards,
 Gergo                            mailto:csibra at gmail.com