[asterisk-users] iptables/ blocking brute-force attacks, and so on...

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at cyber-office.net
Fri Jul 2 14:42:21 CDT 2010

On 07/02/2010 10:10 AM, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> I've just posted this to another list where we were talking about the same
> old issues we've been plagues with recently - I'd already posted some
> iptables rules, but added more to it for this...
>
> This script probably isn't compatable with anything else, but I don't run
> anything else. It's also designed to act on the incoming interface, not to
> run in a router, but it's not hard to make it run in a router - but easier
> to port-forward in the router and run it on the host.

Thanks Gordon.

This will be useful ... and not only for Asterisk/SIP/IAX.

I use a similar technique for handling the script kiddies hammering for
a ssh connection.  Three failed tries in less than a minute gets them
dropped.  My syslog went from several tens of thousands of connection
attempts per day, per host to less than 10 (on a really bad day).

I wish the TARPIT module was available for CentOS.  :-)

\\||/
Rod