[asterisk-users] p2p or p2mp for BRI

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Thu Jul 1 04:53:27 CDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 01:21:23PM +0530, pranav jawale wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a graduate student. We are setting up an IVR system for research purpose
> on a BRI channel. (We can't afford PRI line as its cost is about 10x of the
> BRI). The line will be connected to the CTI card. Using asterisk server we
> will be recording the calls.
>
> I'm confused about whether we should apply for point-to-point connectivity
> or point-to-multipoint. P2P costs more than P2MP and
> we do not intend to invest money if not needed. I would like to ask your
> advice on whether for our purpose we need p2p or would p2mp suffice?

The 'M' in PtMP stands for 'Multi'. Basically PTP is the standard ISDN
protocol, and PtMP is an extension of its logic to make ISDN (BRI)
phones behave somewhat like analog phones: allow you to connect several
of them on the same line.

I suspect that this is really the last thing you need. It makes things
more complicated and less determenistic. However I suspect that if you
ask the phone company for a PTP connection, they'll assume you are a
"business customer" (connecting his own PBX, rather than multiple
phones). If you can get PTP without paying extra - use it.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com