[asterisk-users] How to stop intruder from registering sip?

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Thu Jul 1 04:47:36 CDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 11:50:49PM -0500, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 June 2010 18:38:51 Steve Edwards wrote:
> > On Sun, 13 Jun 2010, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> > > I would generally suggest something a little more deterministic (where
> > > 101 is your extension):
> > >
> > > $ echo '101This is a salt' | sha1sum
> > > 22c3c098bfc2289396af84ecfb1ab77419a6537e
> >
> > Aside from being 8 characters longer, why do you prefer sha1sum to md5sum?
>
> The use of MD5 is gradually being displaced, as crypto attacks are getting
> better.  Since SHA1 is usually the replacement, I went with it, since it's
> also likely to be available on systems.  While SHA1 will eventually succumb to
> the same attacks as MD5, due to its larger bitstrength, it has quite a few
> years left in it, before we need to start thinking about SHA256 or SHA512 to
> replace it.

So, assuming I can relatively easily come up with another phrase that
gives the same md5sum as the one of '101This is a salt', what does it
help me with breaking the next extension?

I prefer shorter names. An md5 checksum is too long as-is. Maybe simply
get the first 8 characters from it and hope they are unique. For a small
sample size (I suspect even a few 1000-s here would be small enough) I
would not expect any collisions.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com