[asterisk-users] Asterisk IPv6 update - we need an update

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Sat Jan 30 07:29:24 CST 2010

Friends,

Before the Christmas holidays, I did send this letter and did not get a lot of response, but some. Since then, I've been able to get interest from a few parties that are willing to fund parts of this work, including Digium, the main sponsor of Asterisk. I will also apply for additional funding from a foundation here in Sweden and hope to get some more responses so that we can fund this project together. If anyone out there has interest or feedback regarding IPv6, Asterisk and VoIP, I'll be happy to get in contact.

I've documented some of my thoughts on how to proceed, based on the work already done by Marc Blanchet (and of course work together with him) on my blog, http://www.voip-forum.com/asterisk/2010-01/voip-users-care-ipv6/

My hope is that we can get this done and integrated in Asterisk 1.8, but that requires some immediate attention from the community, as well as help with testing and feedback when we start rolling. Marcs code is already out there, so you can start testing NOW in your IPv6-enabled network. http://www.asteriskv6.org/

IPv6 is a boring topic, and if you do it right, no one will thank you for it. It just needs to be done. My work with IPv6 started the summer of 1995 and since then people have been shouting "We need to migrate now!". We've done that so long so that no one listens any more and now it's getting really critical. The IP numbering authorities, like ARIN and RIPE, have already outlined how they will have to change procedures for IPv4 assignments every six months from now, making it harder and harder to get addresses. For VoIP - sip trunks, calling each other across the Internet, it's critical to have public IP addresses unless you want to stay with your lovely Telco on the other end of the copper cables.

Personally, I'm not sure how to design software for this migration properly. In order to educate myself and collegues that develop and build SIP solutions, I'm going to organize an event this spring which combines testing and training. I do hope that the Asterisk community will join me and support the developer team in our efforts to make Asterisk - the leading Open Source PBX -  running perfectly well on both IPv4 and IPv6 networks.  It needs to be done, we will get it done. And no one will thank us for it, since everyone just expects Asterisk to work as we have done for the last 10 years...

With IPv6 greetings!

/Olle

Vidarebefordrat brev: