[asterisk-users] 911, location

Leif Neland leifn at neland.dk
Fri Jan 29 12:26:14 CST 2010

Den 28-01-2010 20:15, Danny Nicholas skrev:
> Here's one solution:
> - exten =>  _911,1,Set(IMAT=EXTEN)
> - exten =>  _911,2,Set(IMAT=CUT(IMAT|\/|2)
> - exten =>  _911,3,Dial(DAHDI/1,w911)
> - exten =>  _911,4,Background(emergencyin${IMAT})
>
> Where you would record /var/lib/asterisk/sound/emergencyin100 for extension
> 100, etc.

I see two problems:

1: Doesn't asterisk see a pots-call as answered as soon as it has
"pressed the last digit" and therefore will speak into the ring signal?

2: Often callers are answered with an automated message "This is 911,
please hold", just to give pranksters/misdiallers a chance to hang up
before "disturbing" the operator. Unless 911 records the incoming call
right from the start, they will never hear the "im-at" message. And even
if they do, they have to know the message is there to seek on the recording.

An option of  the operator receiving a loop of "This is a call from the
Mickey Mouse building room 123, please press * to receive the call"
would require the operator to be able to press "*", not sure I'd depend
my life on that...

Leif