[asterisk-users] Use of "603 Declined"

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Fri Jan 29 09:31:14 CST 2010

Kristian Kielhofner wrote:

>   I don't want to ruin your plans for tonight (RFC3261 is a lot of
> fun) but how about 403:
>
> 21.4.4 403 Forbidden
>
>    The server understood the request, but is refusing to fulfill it.
>    Authorization will not help, and the request SHOULD NOT be repeated.

Well, that's the problem, and it's the reason why 603 is so commonly
used. This is a situation where the current request has failed, but
there is no indication that repeating the request will also fail. 403
means that the request should not be repeated without either changing it
or authenticating as a different entity, which is a different scenario.

It is very likely that there is no standard-defined 4xx code for 'cannot
process this call right now', only the 5xx and 6xx variants.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kpfleming at digium.com