[asterisk-users] Unable to create channel of type 'DAHDI' (cause 0- Unknown)

Karl Fife karlfife at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 19:30:57 CST 2010

I have had the exact same problem for over a year on my server sporting the
TDM800 but NOT on my server with the TE212P.  Both servers run the same
version of Linux, Asterisk and DHADI.

The problem has remained consistent through all versions of DAHDI 2.0.x
through 2.2.0.2, and every version of Asterisk which I have I've tried which
includes various iterations of 1.6.0, 1.6.1, and 1.6.2.  Currently 1.2.6.1.
Surprisingly I also observe that I can even compile & install NEW versions
of Asterisk and/or DAHDI, and NOT observe the bug provided that I do NOT
bounce the server.

A developer (not an asterisk developer) named Jim Duda posted this issue to
the list back in October of 08.   (Asterisk 1.6.0-beta9 & DAHDI 2.0.x
originally for him).  After what he described as considerable effort he
found that by changing one line in chan_dahdi.c the issue appeared to be
resolved (below).  His simple patch (below) has works (for me too) as a
stop-gap.

I posted this the DEV list back January of 09, and the issue was reopened
and then closed as 'fixed' .  It would appear the issue needs to be
re-reopened, as it's now appearing less specific to my hardware or
configuration.

https://issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=13786
Duplicate issue to 13927

If I do not patch chan_dahdi (below), this is what I (still) observe:
ONLY after a system reboot, any attempt(s) to dial from a device attached to
an FXS port on my TDM800P, result in the following error :

WARNING[2975]: app_dial.c:1502 dial_exec_full: Unable to create channel of
type 'DAHDI' (cause 0 - Unknown)
  == Everyone is busy/congested at this time (1:0/0/1)

BUT after the first INBOUND call to any FXO port on the device, the FXS port
works normally until the next reboot.

(Asterisk 1.6.2.1 & DAHDI 2.2.0.2 (& earlier ) Centos 2.6.18-164.11.1.el5 #1
SMP Wed Jan 20 07:39:04 EST 2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Does anyone else observe this?  Could it be specific to certain
(mis)configurations?  It's possible that others have the issue but do not
know it.  With any inbound call volume it may be nearly transparent :-)

-Karl

JIM's ONE-LINE FIX ----
On line 8730 (I think it's still on this line) of chan_dahdi.c
replace a "return 0"  with return "1".

if (par.rxisoffhook)
return 1;
else