[asterisk-users] MYSQL problem

Tilghman Lesher tlesher at digium.com
Wed Jan 27 18:02:30 CST 2010

On Wednesday 27 January 2010 12:55:18 David Gibbons wrote:
> <snip>
> many people around think mysql is not a good option for database, they
> think mysql
>
> is only suit for small business. but i want to have a try. i need to
> convince them to use this.
> </snip>
>
> This statement is absolute BS. Give me some factual, backed statements by
> trained database professionals who don't work for Microsoft or Oracle (OK,
> Sun) and we can talk.
>
> <rant>
> I guarantee that mysql can be made at least as fast as Oracle with a
> relational database that's designed, indexed and implemented properly. The
> problem with the backend is NEARLY ALWAYS a problem with the DBA. I hate to
> hear crap DBAs blame their problems on the backend. MySQL is top-notch and
> production ready if you are logical about your DB design. </rant>

For OLTP, I'd agree with you, and in fact, I'd go one step further.  Nothing
can touch MySQL for speed with OLTP.  However, if you're going to be doing
massive joins for reporting, you're better off using something else (or
running individual MySQL slaves, whose purpose is to run those complex queries
and doing nothing else).  In a past life, our MySQL database ran circles
around Oracle, Informix, and DB2... until someone ran a massive join on the
same server, which caused MySQL to crawl.

--
Tilghman Lesher