[asterisk-users] Data transfer

thorsten.stoffregen at gmx.de thorsten.stoffregen at gmx.de
Wed Jan 27 15:18:41 CST 2010

Hi,

im a student and we are devloping a training sytem for
radio operators (for ships, police, ...) at our university.
So far we are using a simple own protocol for speech and data
transmission, works well at a Lan. Now we are looking for a way to
connect the devices over the internet.

I did some very quick testing with Asterisk and PJSIP [1] and it looks very
promising. Apart from the voice transmission we need to sent some Data
too (like used frequency, GPS position, very small data, about 5 kByte a minute).

So my first thougt was to use SIP/Messages but some time of searching shows
that asterisk doesn't handle this. We could of course use an extra tcp
connection but this seems not very elegant to me ;-) because SIP should handle that...

The Asterisk Console shows that asterisk drops the message:
 WARNING[15294]: chan_sip.c:9769 receive_message: Received message to <sip:test.user2 at 192.168.1.104> from <sip:192.168.1.101>;tag=yNOCnaUdAjHob7Gmpl-5tjCuNmQDeGJp, dropped it...
  Message: gnaaa

Is there a way to get this message out of the server - to the AMI Interface for example? This would enough
for us, because only our server needs to read the messages and maybe sent an answer.
Or someone has an even better idee how to achive this?

Thank you,
Thorsten Stoffregen

[1] www.pjsip.org/