[asterisk-users] odd issue with the with SIP over VPN

Andrew Hakman andrew.hakman at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 20:51:02 CST 2010

You probably are not advertising the routes across the vpn properly.

Does your setup look like this

asterisk----[network a]----openVPN server----[network b -
vpn]-----openVPN client----[network c]-----sip client

where network a, b, and c are all separate subnets?

Is your vpn setup for routing or bridging?

you need to make sure that the vpn server allows network a to to talk
to network c, and that network c can talk to network a. By default,
only the client can talk to the server. Attached subnets will not be
routed automatically.

See this section of the openVPN howto:
http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/documentation/howto.html#scope

I have 3 asterisk servers with sip trunking between them all running
over openVPN links, and everything works fine when you make sure  you
setup the routing right in the vpn. I also have 2 phones that connect
to one of the servers over a openVPN link as well - they're not sip
(Nortel unistim) but it also works just fine.

Andrew