[asterisk-users] Snom vs Polycom

Alex Samad alex at samad.com.au
Fri Jan 22 15:19:43 CST 2010

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 05:06:17PM -0300, Andrew Latham wrote:
> I have worked on many snom phones over the years....  I have never had
> a snom phone go bad...

I have had about 10 in the last 12-18 months, I had 1 with a fault hand
set plug - the reseller replaced it.  Other wise they have been great.

> I have repaired stuck screens and overheated sticky bits but all in
> all snom are great phones.  I recently showed my personal phone to
> some people including a VoIP engineer that fell in love with my snom
> 360...  It has scratches and dents from use and abuse but the real
> shocker was when I turned the phone over and showed them the date of
> manufacture ... 2004...
>
> I am working with some Polycom phones right now.  They look ok.  I
> don't hear any "better speaker" that people talk about.  They are
> troublesome to administrate or provision as a single phone.

provision the snom is a "pain" to setup - well you have to do a lot of
work, but its work while - lots of documentation on the snom site on mass
distribution - makes life simple I would recommend it for anything more
than 3 phones (all you need is a deamon provided by snom written in perl
and a http server)

[snip]