[asterisk-users] Snom vs Polycom

Andrew Latham lathama at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 14:06:17 CST 2010

I have worked on many snom phones over the years....  I have never had
a snom phone go bad...

I have repaired stuck screens and overheated sticky bits but all in
all snom are great phones.  I recently showed my personal phone to
some people including a VoIP engineer that fell in love with my snom
360...  It has scratches and dents from use and abuse but the real
shocker was when I turned the phone over and showed them the date of
manufacture ... 2004...

I am working with some Polycom phones right now.  They look ok.  I
don't hear any "better speaker" that people talk about.  They are
troublesome to administrate or provision as a single phone.

With Polycom the LDAP requires an additional license.  With snom the
firmware is mostly OSS and you can download and play.  It does really
cool things with LDAP and HTTP...

I have worked with Aastra and Grandstream also in the past amongst
others and I have found that some models are better than others and
each vendor must make something good once in a while just to stay in
business...

Having demo phones is priceless.  Sometimes I show off the phones I
like with some phones I don't like to show the end users why it
matters...  Bad screens, cost, features, color (snom snow rocks!),
etc...

~
Andrew "lathama" Latham
lathama at gmail.com