[asterisk-users] Virtual Asterisk Installation

Lyle Giese lyle at lcrcomputer.net
Wed Jan 20 18:04:55 CST 2010

Jeff LaCoursiere wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jan 2010, Gergo Csibra wrote:
>

>> Wednesday, January 20, 2010, 11:41:48 PM, Michiel wrote:
>>

>>> Forget about virtualization!

>>> Virtualisation is nice for test-setups, but thats it. for any real job
>>> it's a major pain in the ass and makes stuff bork beyond imagination.
>>>
>> Well. Why do you use computer? There're slide-rule. You can calculate
>> anything with that...
>>

> Pretty crappy analogy.  Just because you *can* do something doesn't mean
> it is production ready.  But then the OP said it wasn't all that
> important, so I would say go Xen and tell us how it works out.  I think
> you will only have trouble with conferencing, and maybe not even then if
> the machine is beefy enough and unloaded.  Monitoring servers are usually
> pretty unloaded.
>
> I'm playing a lot with OpenVZ, but you won't have access to your PSTN
> hardware... at least I haven't been able to make that part work.

Asterisk and monitoring are time sensitive applications. VM's are not
good canidates for these types of services. Go to the MRTG discussions
and you will get the same answer, stay away from VM. The time shift that
VM's introduce cause huge issues when mapping time sensitive data.

And Asterisk is time sensitive. A webserver or database server are not
time sensitive applications where time shifts of a few milliseconds are
not noticed. But with Asterisk if the time is shifting 20 or 30 ms
frequently, it will cause all sorts of issues.

Use VM's where and when useful. This scenerio is not a good candiate for
virtualization.

Lyle