[asterisk-users] Cross compiling Asterisk, Dahdi..

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Sun Jan 17 13:46:19 CST 2010

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

>> I doubt it, but am willing to check - it's a vanilla kernel off
>> kernel.org, compiled as per the instructions - the way I've been doing it
>> for ever. I use make menuselect, then select the options I want. Module
>
> FWIW, 'make modules_prepare' should be good enough for building (or at
> least: test-building) modules. And takes less time.

OK.

> If you build a custom kernel anyway, maybe the simplest approach would
> be to copy the dahdi files onto the kernel tree and build it there.

I can do that?

<fx: typing, copying, fliddling...>

OK - Didn't know this - I have to edit drivers/Kconfig to have it
included, but that looks intersting... If I could compile a module-less
kernel that would use dahdi_dummy when no TDM400 card is fitted that would
be nice...

> drivers/dahdi/Kconfig has:
>
>  config DAHDI_VOICEBUS
>        tristate "VoiceBus(tm) Interface Library"
>        depends on PCI
>        default DAHDI
>
> An example entry for a card that uses it:
>
>  config DAHDI_WCTDM24XXP
>        tristate "Digium Wildcard VoiceBus analog card Support"
>        depends on DAHDI && DAHDI_VOICEBUS
>        default DAHDI
>
> Thus if the instructions from Kconfig are applied, you'll default not to
> build any PCI driver without any further effort. Sadly it is not applied
> when you build DAHDI as modules.

OK.

> You'll still have to create the static device files. See
> http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/pkg-voip/dahdi-linux/trunk/debian/make_static_nodes

Done that, thanks.

> That one probably needs addressing as well, I guess.

But for how many people... Of-course if I can built it as part of a kernel
build then these don't get done as they're in the top-level Makefile...

Might be nice to know how many others do this sort if thing?

I guess the blackfin people do - ARM? I'm about to get a Nokia N900, and I
know I can install gcc if it's not there already, but I somehow don't
fancy compiling on the device itself, and I'm also looking at some other
ARM boards too.

I think being able to run Asterisk on my next mobile phone is sort of neat
- anyone ported it to Andriod yet?

Cheers,

Gordon