[asterisk-users] DAHDI and Analogue lines (UK)

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Fri Jan 15 16:26:03 CST 2010

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 04:06:54PM +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:
>>
>> Have an intersting issue whem migrating a site from Zap on 1.3 to DAHDI on
>> 1.4.. Nothing special about the hardware - older TDM400 card, 2 red
>> modules fitted...
>>
>> Both channels work fine under 1.2/Zaptel. With 1.4/DAHDI both channels
>> still work OK, but only for one line - the 2nd line causes it to refuse to
>> dial-out no matter which port it's plugged into.
>>
>> The Lines are bog-standard BT analogue lines and we're about 2Km from the
>> exchange. Both sound good to me and dial out OK with a test phone
>> connected to them, but only one will dial-out via the PBX.
>>
>> This is what I see:
>>
>> [Jan  1 05:14:14] WARNING[1200]: app_dial.c:1237 dial_exec_full: Unable to create channel of type 'DAHDI' (cause 0 - Unknown)
>>    == Everyone is busy/congested at this time (1:0/0/1)
>>
>> And yet the line isn't busy or congested - nothing's using it.
>>
>> The output of dsx*CLI> dahdi show status
>> Description                              Alarms     IRQ        bpviol     CRC4
>> Wildcard TDM400P REV E/F Board 5         OK         0          0          0
>>
>> is fine, as is:
>>
>> dsx*CLI> dahdi show channels
>>     Chan Extension  Context         Language   MOH Interpret
>>   pseudo            default                    default
>>        1            incoming                   default
>>        2            incoming                   default
>>
>> So I'm a bit stuck. Why doesn't DAHDI like that particular line? What does
>> it do to it that Zap didn't?
>
> What version of Zaptel?

Oldish - Zaptel Version: 1.2.23

> What is the value of 'InAlarm' from 'dahdi show channel 2' ?

InAlarm: 1

That's not good, is it...

Doesn't explain why an analogue phone connected to the line works OK
though - or can it indicate another sort of fault, or is it just too
fussy?

The line itself is their FAX line, although I'm not using it for FAXes -
just as a second outgoing call line (I have it arranged to innore incoming
calls - which are detected) There is also another phone on the line, so 3
devices including the asterisk box, however I got the same result with it
plugged directly into the master socket with nothing else connected.

Gordon