[asterisk-users] 10/100 voip phones and gigabit connection

David Backeberg dbackeberg at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 10:01:59 CST 2010

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 1:54 AM, randall <randall at songshu.org> wrote:
> does anybody know of another solution to this or is my conclusion above
> simply all the choice there is?

So let me get this straight.

You're planning on buying multiple Gigabit, PoE switches, and you're
quibbling over the price of running parallel data cable? The gigabit
PoE switches are not cheap, at least if you're buying enterprise
switches that actually deliver real gigabit, with full cross-sectional
bandwidth. The cable isn't very much money, and if you double-wire
now, you're ready when you have twice as many employees in the same
space.

Next, you don't say what this office is like, but I'm going to let you
in on a little secret. Most people in an office rarely spike to a full
100Mbit connection. Do some bandwidth monitoring on your network and
you'll discover that. A gigabit ethernet phone is a nice thing to
have, but it's more a marketing thing than an actual necessity.
Anybody that can afford a gigabit ethernet switching phone and true
gigabit ethernet PoE backend can afford a second wire to every desk.

Please let me know the use case if you find people can't be happy with
a 100Mbit connection for the typical Windoze office environment.