[asterisk-users] Faxing: Anyone have a compiled executable?

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Thu Jan 7 19:55:14 CST 2010

On 01/08/2010 06:05 AM, William Stillwell (Lists) wrote:
> Has there been any improvement with app_fax ?
>
> I stopped using it as I had a high failure rate with inbound faxes (10%+)
> 1000 faxes a week ,with over a 100 failures can get quite annoying from
> people complaining.. I could get it to fail everytime I tried sending a
> solid black fax page.
>
> (ie, take a sheet of paper that is all black, or heavily black, and fax it,
> I got a ton of errors, or just plain rx reception failure)..

If you want an idea of the performance level to expect from app_fax see
http://www.soft-switch.org/spandsp-soft-fax-performance.html

If 10% of your FAXes are failing, and they really have the potential to
succeed (i.e. not voice calls, wrong numbers, etc), that's awful.
Anything above 1% is poor. app_fax on a well set up system, with no
timing issues, achieves >99% success for PSTN calls. Results with calls
on the internet will vary, depending on the quality of your VoIP links.
T.38 calls are generally far more reliable than audio ones across the
internet. Are you using PSTN or VoIP connexions?

Sending a black page is no harder than sending a white one. If you want
a real stress test, try the checkerboard pattern TIFF file page, amongst
the spandsp test data. That takes about half an hour to send one page.
On a well set up system you should be able to send or receive those
pages all day. If you can't, you probably have timing issues in your
Asterisk setup.

If you are going to ask if something has improved, its rather important
to say which versions you are running now, and how you use them.

Steve