[asterisk-users] Explain what asterisk.conf's "internal timing" option is

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Thu Jan 7 07:15:11 CST 2010

7 jan 2010 kl. 12.00 skrev Olivier:

> Hello,
>
> I've read in Mantis that asterisk.conf's "internal timing" option could positively impact Asterisk behaviour during faxing (http://issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=16374).
> Before using it, I would be very pleased to read a line or two about its use.
> I've read http://www.russellbryant.net/blog/2008/06/16/asterisk-16-now-with-a-new-timing-api/ but I still a couple of questions.
>
> When you have a 1.6.1 server with a PSTN trunk, is this option of any use, as in my opinion, timing is then provided by PSTN ?

If you have any DAHDI/Zaptel driver, then you have timing. The internal timing option in asterisk.conf will affect the RTP flow in calls that use RTP. (XMPP/Jingle, SIP, MGCP, H.323). Since the RTP system is normally clocked on incoming packets, there are issues where you will reach a standstill - no one is sending any packets, because both systems are waiting for a packet to arrive. Internal timing will then take over and force Asterisk to send packets based on the Dahdi/Zaptel timer and not based on the incoming flow.

/O