[asterisk-users] DTMF detection on dahdi with b4xxp (again, some more details)

Karsten Wemheuer kwem at gmx.de
Thu Jan 7 03:04:55 CST 2010

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 05.01.2010, 15:38 +0100 schrieb Christian Theune:
> Hi,
>
> I tried again getting DTMF detection on my ISDN devices with dahdi going
> again. I used the channel debug to see whether asterisk sees the frames
> and detects them as DTMF.
>
> Interestingly here's what works:
>
> 1. GSM phone -> chan_dahdi g1 -> asterisk -> can_sip -> SIP phone
>
> Both the GSM phone and the SIP phone can issue DTMF that will be
> detected as features (transfer)
>
> 2. GSM phone -> chan_dahdi g1 -> asterisk -> chan_dahdi g4 -> ISDN phone
>
> The GSM phone can issue DTMF that will be detected. The ISDN phone
> won't. (That's my issue.) I don't see any messages of asterisk
> recognizing the DTMF frames when pressing the keys. I do hear the DMTF
> sound on both phones.
>
> 3. ISDN phone -> chan_dahdi g4 -> asterisk -> chan_dahdi g1 -> GSM phone
>
> The ISDN phone can issue DTMF that will be recognized and so does the
> GSM phone.
>
> So. When the ISDN phone is receiving a call on g4 its DTMF sounds won't
> be recognized. OTOH when the GSM phone on g1 is being called it's sounds
> are recognized.

I *think* there are two possibilities to transfer DTMF on ISDN:
- as audio on B-Channel
- as Key-Press events (Info-Elements) on D-Channel

DTMF on GSM can not be signalled as audio (because of codec with high
compression). I guess in case GSM => asterisk via "chan_dahdi g1" in
Your example, the DTMF is signalled as Info-Elements on D-Channel.

I guess in the cases where Your DTMF is not working, audio path is used.
In this case DTMF detection is done by DSP-Software. Look for the
relaxdtmf statement (in case of zaptel this worked for me in a simmilar
scenario).

HTH,

Karsten