[asterisk-users] Really Silly Question From Total Newbie

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Tue Jan 5 22:36:14 CST 2010

Steve Edwards wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Jan 2010, UIT DEVELOPMENT wrote:
>

>> I've got a lot of old hardware laying around and I do have MODEMs -internal and external 56k types.
>>

> None of your externals will be of any use and I suspect you will spend more time than it is worth trying to get any of your internals working. A buck-fifty a month and a penny a minute is pretty darn cheap. You will
> have to be consuming thousands of minutes per month before you will reach the break-even point of the cost of the land-line you need to plug into the modem.
>

>> Thanks for the hints.  I'll check into Magic Jack type stuff and see how it can help.
>>

> MagicJack does not work with Linux or Asterisk unless you plan on spending a bunch of time hacking (see google.com) to extract the SIP credentials out of your device.

Hacking MagicJack is really pretty easy. With a little Googling, the
recipe and tools to do the job work well.
Magicjacksuite will do the extraction, once the dongle is up and working.
mjproxy then does the dirty work
One DOES need an XP machine to start the process, but with the current
configuration, and mjproxy running on the asterisk ( or other Linux box
on the LAN ) I have used MJ for more than a year now with no changes.
Looks like MJ has finally stopped their foolishness and concentrated on
selling dongles.
I suppose, if one cares, that NOT using the dongle is a violation of
their TOS, but the quality is far superior than using the USB dongle.

John Novack

--
Dog is my co-pilot