[asterisk-users] Really Silly Question From Total Newbie

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Tue Jan 5 20:12:57 CST 2010

On Tue, 5 Jan 2010, UIT DEVELOPMENT wrote:

> Are you saying that if I got a number that was in my parents area code
> then they could be making a "local" call to my Asterisk, which is
> physically a 1000+ miles from them?  Now that is cool.

See http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/DID+Service+Providers

Setting up IAX has fewer potholes than SIP. If your Asterisk server
"registers" with the provider you can skip all of the firewall and routing
issues as well.

You can have any number of PSTN numbers ring your Asterisk server. You can
assign (in your dial plan) custom ring tones to each so you know if it is
your "friends & family" number, your wife's business number, your "I'm
looking for a job" number, etc.

A lot of the "free" DIDs are in the middle of nowhere because of the funny
FCC tariffs that say that the long distance carrier has to pay the rural
telephone company "above market" rates for the call. That's how some of
the cheesy, late-night cable TV chat services work.

You can get DIDs in other countries as well. I have 5 in England so that
when my wife is "home" she can call me or each of our kids with a "local"
call.

The numbers are registered to my Asterisk server in San Diego. When a call
comes in, it dials (using Vitelity) the "real" cell numbers.

--
Thanks in advance,