[asterisk-users] Really Silly Question From Total Newbie

Jamie A. Stapleton jstapleton at computer-business.com
Tue Jan 5 15:39:55 CST 2010

Could use the free http://www.sipgate.com/one for some testing (assuming that Asterisk is connected to the Internet)

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com [mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of UIT DEVELOPMENT
Sent: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 2:54 PM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: [asterisk-users] Really Silly Question From Total Newbie

Hello All -

I've been poking around the past few weeks, trying to familiarize
myself with all of this.  I am new to Linux, VoIP and Asterisk -- to
be complete.   This is my first exposure to all of these technologies.

I installed AsteriskNow on my old dual Pentium 833mhz Dell PowerEdge
2400 and the install went well.   I can log in and poke around in
Linux and I even configured the box to be recognized on my windows
network.  However, is there a GUI that I can access to help me set
things up?  I've gotten so far as what looks to me like "DOS" windows
that I can change various things in the OS...

I do not have any other hardware installed.  No cards and no VoIP
phones.   I havent got to the point where I can make a test call or
anything like that.  I dont know how to tell if Asterisk is up and
running and how I can tweak it, etc.   I've been reading a lot of
different things, and have become a bit confused. I think that in time
it will come to me but I needed to stop and ask because I need to know
if I am on the wrong path for what I'd like to do someday....

My main question is: CAN I make call from that box to my cell phone
using a soft-phone?   If so, how can I do that?   Also, can I use my
cell phone to call into that box?   I dont know if I have to get a
phone number, or do I NEED a phone number?   At the moment, I do not
have any dollars to throw at this project.   Its purely for learning,
proof of concept sort of thing for myself on my spare time in the
evenings.  I would simply like to be able to call out and be able to
call into that box.  Later on down the road maybe I will get into
setting up an IVR using a database so I can call into that system from
wherever and get information read back to me.  But, first things
first....  I'd like to know if I am heading down the wrong path here.

Sorry for what might seem as really silly questions, but I am not sure
how to proceed.

Thanks in advance for any insight that you folks can provide!

Mike