[asterisk-users] Really Silly Question From Total Newbie

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Tue Jan 5 15:12:34 CST 2010

On Tue, 5 Jan 2010, UIT DEVELOPMENT wrote:

> I've got a lot of old hardware laying around and I do have MODEMs -
> internal and external 56k types.

None of your externals will be of any use and I suspect you will spend
more time than it is worth trying to get any of your internals working. A
buck-fifty a month and a penny a minute is pretty darn cheap. You will
have to be consuming thousands of minutes per month before you will reach
the break-even point of the cost of the land-line you need to plug into
the modem.

> Thanks for the hints.  I'll check into Magic Jack type stuff and see how
> it can help.

MagicJack does not work with Linux or Asterisk unless you plan on spending
a bunch of time hacking (see google.com) to extract the SIP credentials
out of your device.

--
Thanks in advance,