[asterisk-users] Really Silly Question From Total Newbie

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Tue Jan 5 14:30:41 CST 2010

On Tue, 5 Jan 2010, UIT DEVELOPMENT wrote:

> CAN I make call from that box to my cell phone using a soft-phone?  If
> so, how can I do that?

You need to get an account with a VOIP provider -- someone to accept your
call via the Internet and place a call on the PSTN to call your cell
number -- or any other number.

> Also, can I use my cell phone to call into that box?  I dont know if I
> have to get a phone number, or do I NEED a phone number?

With the same account you can rent a PSTN number. When someone calls that
number, they will "call" your server over the Internet.

This is assuming you don't have a fancy-dancy smart phone with a SIP
client.

I use www.vitelity.net. I don't know their current pricing, but outbound
calls are less than US$0.015 per minute and renting a PSTN number is
around US$1.50 per month.

--
Thanks in advance,