[asterisk-users] Really Silly Question From Total Newbie

Barry L. Kline blkline at attglobal.net
Tue Jan 5 14:25:44 CST 2010

UIT DEVELOPMENT wrote:

> Sorry for what might seem as really silly questions, but I am not sure
> how to proceed.
>
> Thanks in advance for any insight that you folks can provide!

Hello Mike.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Asterisk.  Before you sludge through a
GUI and all the attendant bad habits that can produce, I suggest that
you download what we consider to be the Bible of Asterisk.  The infobot
on IRC says:

"thebook is Asterisk: The Future of Telephony 2nd Edition (ISBN
0-596-51048-9) --- Order yours at
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596510480/ --- Free downloadable PDF
http://downloads.oreilly.com/books/9780596510480.pdf --- HTML at
http://astbook.asteriskdocs.org"

Download that and read the first few chapters.  It will make your
Asterisk experience a lot more enjoyable and will help you understand
what you're doing.

This list, and the IRC channel #asterisk, are good resources when you
finally get to the point where you're stuck and need some help.

Regards,

Barry