[asterisk-users] T.38 ITSP?

David Backeberg dbackeberg at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 08:37:16 CST 2010

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 6:44 PM, Karl Fife <karlfife at gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone found an ITSP that will relay T.38 fax to an asterisk 1.6.x
> instance AND do it reliably?  If so, I can think of a number of locations
> with copper loops that could be scrapped.  I'm actually quite surprised at
> what an underwhelming number of ITSP's that say they support T.38 (zero so
> far among my normal go-to companies).
>
> For locations that just want to be able to send (because they use
> fax-to-email for receive), It should be trivial to relay via T-38 to any of
> our asterisk servers that DO have a PRI or copper loop, and send (or
> queue-up) the fax to be sent.  It's the 'local number' for 'traditional
> receive' that looking to be the harder problem.
>
> Is anybody using an ITSP for inbound T-38 fax with 'local' numbers?

Methinks your difficulty finding an ITSP for this purpose is directly
related to said ITSP's collective experience trying to get this to
work for their customers. They've no doubt discovered that the support
costs for the many times that they have to deal with a broken T.38
implementation or an intermittently lossy end-to-end voip connection
are more than the marginal charges they can assess for the service.