[asterisk-users] Inquiry:Asterisk different codec schemes?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue Jan 5 06:47:49 CST 2010

Olle E. Johansson wrote:

> But it's fairly common to have asymmetric media in the call. If the caller offers A, B and C and the callee responds with B, the caller sends B but the callee might send A.

Only for non-Asterisk endpoints, since Asterisk will never do this.

Is this really that common? I'd be surprised if an endpoint would want
to consume a G.729 encoder (for example) without a corresponding decoder
on the receive path... doing that would make managing DSP resources in
the endpoint much more complicated.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kpfleming at digium.com