[asterisk-users] Server response time

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Sun Feb 28 08:21:52 CST 2010

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010, Juan C. Villa wrote:

> Hey Guys,
>
> I am considering leasing a new server in Germany to run my Asterisk
> infrastructure and I was wondering how response time would affect the
> performance of the system. Right now I have a response time of around
> 60-70ms with my server in California. The server in Germany would have a
> response time of around 140ms (both ways). My DID/Termination providers
> are in Canada and the USA, and all my voip boxes are also in the USA.
> Any suggestions or recommendations?

Being based in the UK, I'd say why not the UK rather then Germany - we're
closer to the US after-all :)

However, one thing we don't know: Where are you and your customers based?

I also find it odd that a lot of people UK based still think they can get
better deals (cheaper & more b/w) by hosting in the US rather than in the
UK - so I'm curious as to why you'd want to host outside the US...

But as long as you're not passing media then anywhere you have good
connectivity ought to work - however if you are passing media, then I'd be
concerned that someone in California is calling their neighbour and the
data is going all the way to Germany and back again... That really will be
noticeable...

Gordon