[asterisk-users] SIP provider registration attempts

Vieri rentorbuy at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 23 11:41:42 CST 2010

Hi,

I am registering my Asterisk boxes to a SIP provider for outgoing calls.

My "outgoing" dialplan context tries to dial out in sequence, starting with the SIP provider then ISDN lines and finally analog lines.

So the idea is that if the SIP trunk fails then all calls are dialed out via ISDN and analog.

I noticed however that if I switch my DSL connection off (ie. no internet access to my SIP provider), Asterisk still tries to send calls out to the SIP provider and it doesn't fail over to the other trunks (at least not in an appropriate time lapse).

When the DSL is down I get:

"sip show registry":

Host                            Username       Refresh State                Reg.
Time
sip.provider.com:5060                xxxxxxxxxx         105 Request Sent         Tue,
 23 Feb 2010 18:06:42

I've read about the sip registerattempts = Number option but:

a) is this the option I'm really looking for?

b) what happens if the DSL lines come back up? does Asterisk re-attempt registration automatically?

Thanks,

Vieri