[asterisk-users] Multiple instances of Asterisk on the same host...

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Tue Feb 23 06:19:31 CST 2010

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

>> My aim is to actually use LXC as it has kernel level support (as of
>> 2.6.29) and will be supported by most distros soon if not already.
>> Linux-Vserver appears to be depreciated by at least Debian, probably
>> Ubuntu too, but I've no idea about the world of Red Hat/Fedora/Centos,
>> etc.. I tried OpenVZ, but it seems to have even poorer support, and no
>> updated for some time either.
>
> Actually: Linux-VServer is deprecated much in favour of OpenVZ. The
> OpenVZ developers have been much more willing to work with the upstream
> kernel maintainers.

Is it? I was very frustrated that OpenVZ's latest 'stable' release was for
2.6.18 and trying to patch it into a current keren was nigh-on impossible.
I even tried the Debin kernels with their patches but in all cases it
produced a kernel that would not boot, so I gave up.

LXC is supported in the kernel without any patches and it now working well
for me, so I'm sticking to it.

> But then again, lxc uses much of the work on containers done also by and
> for OpenVZ. Sort of like the VMWare/Xen/KVM story all over again, with
> lxc playing the role of KVM.

And LXC got into the kernel before the others - what that means is anyones
guess - probably because it was sponsored/written by IBM?

Actually, I'm quite impressed by it so-far - I've had no need to look at
virtual stuff for a while, but did some investigations recently for
another project and the whole idea of Containers is growing on me
rapidly... I get a feeling that it's going to be better suited for running
things like asterisk than full-on virtualisation might be.

Gordon