[asterisk-users] [OT] Asterisk 1.6 and DECT Phones

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Tue Feb 23 03:09:40 CST 2010

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Feb 2010, --[ UxBoD ]-- wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> looking for your valued input on suitable suggestions for high quality
>> VoIP DECT phones.  I am having real issues with my Snom M3s and Asterisk
>> 1.6 and looking to a new manufacturer.
>
> Siemens Gigaset over M3's anyday. Nicer displays, bigger handsets and
> buttons.
>
> The downside is that they are slow - both on the handsets and their web
> interface - make sure you're using a browser with fast javascript - e.g.
> Chrome.

And following up my own reply - I've found the newer ones to be better in
terms on browser speed than the original 450IP's were.

And I'm going to use some in a local charity/museum shortly too (A580's) -
as audio guides for people who want to self-guide themselves - since you
can have 2 independant (VoIP) audio streams on a base-station, it's almost
economical - I'll be providing 2 bases, 4 handsets and a small embedded
asterisk box to hold the audio files - punters will just dial the
extension of the room they're in to get the commentary (from a crib-sheet,
or label on an artifact) ... The commercial ones I've seen seem to store
the audio inside the handset, but DECT will cover our area nicely - the
commercial ones are also large, presumably to stop people wandering off
with them... Hope that won't be a problem for us!

Gordon