[asterisk-users] Virtual machine timing (KVM)

Ian Murray murrayie at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 22 17:16:55 CST 2010

I had a system running on Xen in test. I had terrible echo problems with a SPA3000. As a reference, I swapped to bare metal machine and although I still had echoing, the echoing was much closer to the original sound. The Xen server was idle apart from the AsteriskNOW installation. So, this lead me to believe that Xen was introducing some latency somewhere.... this could be due to bridging overheads or something... not necessarily due to processor starvation. I was really disappointed because it has taken away the whole viability of the project I was running with. I might get better luck with some better echo cancellation, but the latency introduced would still affect normal two way conversations.

Running under Xen also had some interesting effects on DTMF tones, etc.